Thursday, September 11, 2008

Vintage Thingies Thursdays


My Seth Thomas Clock I picked up when my parents were down sizing. My parents picked this clock up at a friends basement. It was given to them, would you believe that. They had it repaired, and the chimes were beautiful!
Well I saw it in there basemnet on a shelf, and asked them if I could have it. Sure!! Well it's not working again, proably because of the moves. I still have the key too! I have this sitting in our dining room on our hutch. I do need to fix this again.
Below is a little bit of history about Seth Thomas.
History of Seth Thomas Adamantine Antique Mantel Clocks
In the 1860’s, French clocks in slate, onyx or marble cases became popular in the United States. These cases were expensive, so the American clock manufacturers produced similar looking cases made of iron or wood. These clocks have become known to collectors as “Black Mantel Clocks”, and were popular from 1880 to 1931.
Seth Thomas made clocks in marble cases for a short time, from 1887 to ca. 1895. They also made clocks in iron cases finished in black enamel, from 1892 to ca. 1895. Seth Thomas is well known for their “Adamantine” black mantel clocks, which were made starting in 1882. Adamantine is a celluloid veneer, glued to the wood case. Adamantine veneer was made in black and white, and in colored patterns such as wood grain, onyx and marble.
Adamantine veneer was developed by the Celluloid Manufacturing Company of New York City, and was covered by U.S. Patent number 232,037, dated September 7, 1880. Seth Thomas Clock Company purchased the right to use the Adamantine veneer in 1881.
I found this on e-bay. I think mine is better since I have the ky and pillar, and it was FREE!

3 comments:

Tania said...

You just make sure this goes to me one day! I always loved this clock. It was different and beautiful.

Amy said...

oh how old clocks bring back memories! My grandparents had one like this and every hour it would chime :-)

Diane said...

Really beautiful old clock! Love the story.