Sunday, December 4, 2011

Clam Shell Quilt

This is how it started two years ago.
Yes, two years ago I saw this in a quilting book and I had to make this quilt.
I first hand sewed the clams edges. This was great for long trips.
After sewing all the edges, I then started hand sewing them together.

After all the clams were stitched together, I sandwiched the top, batting and the back. And stitched the quilt together. I sewed each clam shell.

I thought I was making a lap quilt, little did I know it turned in to a bed quilt.

I love the puffiness!

I love the colors.
This took me two years, from start til end. I didn't work on it during the summer months, It was to warm to have this quilt on my lap. But when it got cooler, it was nice and cozy. This is a quilt Im NOT giving this away.
This is a keeper.

5 comments:

Heather Ando said...

Beautiful! A very ambitious project with all the hand piecing!

regan said...

It's absolutely beautiful! Love all the colors in it, and the crinkly texture....very antique-y! Love it!

Lissa said...

That is amazing and beautiful! Such an heirloom! I'm planning on making a much less ambitious version where the clamshells are closer to 2'. Thanks for the inspiration!

Caren "Kay" said...

Sonja, I "saved" a clamb shell quilt kit from someone who was going to throw it away if it didn't sell after a quilt guild auction/garage sale. Was just looking at it the other day. Two different sizes. Some already pieced. Most cut. Thanks for the inspiration.

Caren "Kay" said...

Sonja, I "saved" a clamb shell quilt kit from someone who was going to throw it away if it didn't sell after a quilt guild auction/garage sale. Was just looking at it the other day. Two different sizes. Some already pieced. Most cut. Thanks for the inspiration.